Our History

The first green was built in 1931 by “Stevo” Stevenson and his brother Les, on their farm off what is now known as Old Bowling Green Rd.  Eighteen men became the foundation members of the club and T.L.Lowe was the first Singles Champion.  In August 1939 the Maroochy District Bowling Association was formed consisting of Palmwoods, Nambour, Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Maleny and Mapleton, with “Stevo” Stevenson as Patron, a position he held for 31 years.  Palmwoods moved to their present site, beside the Kolora Park Lagoon in 1940, with a 5 rink green, which was extended to full size in 1946 with a tent as the “clubroom”.  The first meeting was held on the 8th February 1948. In February 1946 a Ladies section was formed.  The first permanent building was constructed in 1950 with later additions in 1974, 1983 and 1985.  In 1950 the Ladies section joined the Queensland Lawn Bowls Association as they then had the required 16 members.

The second green, dedicated to W.Atkinson and H.Zerner was completed in 1981 and in 1995, the Men’s and Ladies sections amalgamated and the freehold title to the land was purchased. The new clubrooms were opened on 1st May 1999 and the spacious 27 metre x 8 metre verandah overlooking the Kolora Park nature reserve and lagoon was finished in 2001. The club has a beautiful outlook, being beside the Kolora Park lagoon and nature reserve.

Lights were installed over our No.1 green in 2002.  In 2004 we were judged “Best Small Bowls Club in Qld” by Bowls Queensland, and were again finalists in 2006.  Also in 2006, a computer controlled inground sprinkler system serving both greens was installed. The lights on No.2 green were installed in 2010. The shades were purchased through a grant in 2010. The lights over No.1 green were replaced with LED lights in August 2019 by virtue of a grant.

The club has quite a long history and without the unstinting work of volunteers, the club could have gone into extinction on many occasions.

The clubs Lady members have had great success in Australian and District Championships with members winning 5 Australian titles and an incredible 51 District titles as well as many pennant flags when our club was in the Maroochy District.  The club is now part of the Sunshine Coast District.  The men have won 4 pennants, a night pennant title, and a combined South East Qld pennant title in 2008. (These were the figures in 2008).

As an anecdote. In 1955 the local butcher would store a wooden keg of beer in his cold room and it would then be brought over to the club, covered with a wet sack and the contents enjoyed by the men after their game.

Palmwoods hosted players from Golden Beach Bowls Club (now Pelican Waters) every week for a year in 1980 until their greens were finished.

In 1957 the greenkeepers wage was 7 pounds per week.  By 1963 this had climbed to 15 pounds per week.